We purchase the food for our weekend feeding program in bulk which allows us to purchase nutritious meal items at a savings.
- Our goal is to see that each child receives: 2 breakfast, 2 lunch, and 1 dinner item; 3 milks, 2 snacks, 2 fruits, 1 protein meal bar, and 2 juices.
- CHEW provides four different two-day menus and one three-day menu for our chronically hungry children.
- When our children have a long weekend they receive a three-day menu. Prior to a holiday, they also receive this menu that provides additional nutrition.
Area churches have adopted schools and distribute the nutritious meals weekly to each Wilson County Public School, Sallie B. Howard School for the Arts (charter school), Wilson Preparatory Academy (charter school) and the Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf.
In North Carolina roughly 1 in 5 children are food insecure. In the Wilson County Public Schools over 50% of our school-age children fall into that category.
- During the 2020-2021 school term CHEW volunteers made weekly home deliveries of CHEW food during remote learning because of the COVID pandemic. The number of chronically hungry children reported to CHEW ranged between 340 to 360 children.
- For the 2021-2022 School Term, we have budgeted $6.32 for each child for each two-day weekend and $8.16 for a three-day weekend for the.