We purchase the food for our weekend feeding program in bulk which allows us to purchase nutritious meal items at a savings.
- Our goal is to see that each child receives: 2 breakfast, 2 lunch, and 1 dinner item; 3 milks, 2 snacks, 2 fruits, 1 protein meal bar, and 2 juices.
- CHEW provides four different two-day menus and one three-day menu for our chronically hungry children.
- When our children have a long weekend they receive a three-day menu. Prior to a holiday, they also receive this menu that provides additional nutrition.
Area churches and one civic group have adopted schools and distribute the nutritious meals weekly to each Wilson County Public School, Sallie B. Howard School for the Arts (charter school), Wilson Preparatory Academy (charter school) and the Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf.
In North Carolina roughly 1 in 4 children are food insecure. In the Wilson County Public Schools over 50% of our school-age children fall into that category.
- During the 2017-2018 school term the number of chronically hungry children reported to CHEW continued to increase until we are providing food over the weekends for over 430 children.
- We have budgeted $6.05 for each child for each two-day weekend and $8.56 for a three-day weekend for the 2018-2019 school term.